Saturday, August 31, 2013

Book Review: Switched by Amanda Hocking

When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother might have been right.  She’s not the person she’s always believed herself to be, and her whole life begins to unravel—all because of Finn Holmes.
Finn is a mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her.  Every encounter leaves her deeply shaken…though it has more to do with her fierce attraction to him than she’d ever admit.  But it isn’t long before he reveals the truth:  Wendy is a changeling who was switched at birth—and he’s come to take her home.   
Now Wendy’s about to journey to a magical world she never knew existed, one that’s both beautiful and frightening.  And where she must leave her old life behind to discover who she’s meant to become…
As a special gift to readers, this book contains a new, never-before-published bonus story, “The Vittra Attacks,” set in the magical world of the Trylle.

This book was much, much better than I was expecting, after not having read it from years of adversion. I'd originally seen this book as one of those 99 cent ebooks on Amazon, not knowing that it eventually had been published into a physical book. Because of that, I didn't know if I wanted to read it. I've read plenty of self-published books that make me know instantly why a publisher didn't want it. But, finally, I felt like I was in the mood for just that- a book that relieved my stress from my workload and life in general. It was an easy and quick story that didn't require too much thought from the reader's side. However, it was captivating. However, it was a book that I did need to be in the mood for.
Character time! Let's talk about Finn, the more than slightly creepy love interest! Now, creepy dudes keep showing up so often now in YA books that I got quite desensitized to them. Fictionally, of course. If this actually happened, I would have no problem running and screaming. I did grow to like, Finn, though, as much as I tried to not. His character made it to middle ground for me. I don't hate him- yet. Though the age difference made the creepy-ness worse. She was sixteen and he was nineteen. As in, a college freshman dating a high school sophmore. Eww. 
Wendy's brother, Matt, I was a bit iffy on. At first, I liked him, but then he had this weird, possessive outburst on Wendy and Finn that was borderline abusive. Weird. 
Wendy didn't really stand up for herself. Like ever. She'd be an all right heroine, but then suddenly she'd be back to the girl who just sat there (cough Bella remake anyone cough). Though I was glad that Wendy felt bad about the whole Changeling thing just to steal their money. That family didn't need anything else to deal with. Wendy did have an emotion for about 2.5 seconds, don't worry. But instead of fighting it, she just kind of went with it. "Stealing? Eh, whatever. I heart you, Finn, don't worry." Accurate, let me tell you.
If you don't mind insta-love, than this book is for you. Now, you have to keep in mind, though, that this book was published by the author herself, selling it for like 99 cents originally. I got it for free from the library, don't worry. I do have Wake on my Kindle, which does seem like a better series by Amanda Hocking. 
All in all, this wasn't that bad of a book, you just had to be in the mood for a book that was bland and took no mentally capacity. It was still a good read in my mind and I'll most likely pick up the sequel, Torn.
Over and out,
Nerdalicious


1 comment:

  1. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on this trilogy! Some people are in complete love and others just find it bland, like you said. I picked up the first book to give it a shot. If I like them, I'll go pick up the next two, if not, oh well!

    Lisa
    Become Blogger of the Week:
    http://turningpages94.blogspot.com/p/blogger-of-week.html

    ReplyDelete