Sunday, September 15, 2013

Book Review: The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.
As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.





Let me just start by saying that I am NOT a fan of Twilight, nor do I plan on becoming one. So, naturally, my thoughts were skeptical when I first picked it up. However, Meyer shocked me by creating a decent plotline. One where the main character had a mind that didn't revolve around her creepily omniscent boyfriend. 

From the start, I had been turned away from reading this because of not only Meyer's reputation, but the cover. That cover, I'm sorry, is atrocious. Not that it isn't bad (I'm sure that if I was a published author, I wouldn't care what my cover looked like, as long as the story was out there), it just was one of the things that kept me from reading it. I'm pretty sure I could have made a replica on any basic Microsoft software. I know, I know "don't judge a book by its cover". But I can't resist. All in all, if you are able to get past that, it's a good read.

Not that I'm saying I wouldn't change some aspects of the book. Apparently, Meyer tends to right at night. That's a fact I can tell when she decided the age range of this book. No one who wasn't utterly sleep deprived and stuck in a secluded part of their mind would have created a book that was clearly YA with characters in their twenties. Twilight certainly had more adult aspects to it. There is no reason for this to be considered an adult book, as it has little to no bad language or a complicated plot that a teenager couldn't grasp. As a teenager myself, I did not consider this to be an adult book, besides the ages. It is as if they are adults with teenager's minds.

Meyer did, however, create a complicated plot that is worthy of my five-star rating. I really enjoyed it, and I will be recommending it to many of my friends, book lovers or not. I think that many audiences will enjoy this. Even if you are skeptical like I was about this book, I think you should at least give it a shot.
Fun fact: this review was the first review I ever wrote. I wrote it back in April/March and posted it to my Goodreads account, but I decided to pull it from there and post it to here. Whenever I pull text from Goodreads, it always appears in white, so sorry about that. 
Rating: 4.25 out of 5 stars
Over and out,
Nerdalicious

No comments:

Post a Comment