Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Book Review: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

So, to put it simply, this book was absolutely amazing. If you want to read on and see every last thought that I had whilst reading this, don't let me stop you. However, if you're skeptical, don't be. This is a fantastic sequel to Shatter Me. I give you my opinionated blessing to go out and buy this.


Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.
She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.
Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.


If you were physically anywhere near me in the few hours that it took me to devour this book, you know that I squealed and sighed more than enough times to be qualified as "sane". If you read my Shatter Me review, then you are fully aware of my absolute, undying love for a certain fictional character named Warner.
Oh man, Warner. He was absolute perfection in this. Mafi, I love you, girl. Remember how I begged and pleaded to her telepathically (BFFS, I know) to give Warner some character development that I never thought would come?
IT CAME. (Happiest moment of my immediate life.)
Anyway, back to the actual review and not just a rant about how much I love Warner. Well, somewhat a review. I couldn't find too many serious complaints because this book was terrific. I literally want to read it again just to soak in more details.
First, I felt like the first few pages were a little dull and cliche (X-Men, anyone?). I know why; Warner wasn't there. What? Nothing. Nothing at all. But, then it was like BAM. TAKE THAT, EMOTIONALLY UNSTABLE READERS.
Mafi sure knows how to make me feel allllll of the emotions capable in my . . . body, I guess.
Have you noticed my recent love for crossed out words? This book didn't inspire that. Not a single bit, folks. 
One of the things that I loved (once again, I might add) was Mafi's writing style. (See? This was a positive thing that didn't involve Warner. Baby steps.) It was so poetic and raw. The way she rights makes every moment seem valuable, like every second is slow and detailed, every thought and emotion clocked in. It was very interesting.
I loved 90% of the characters. Juliette earned my check-plus in this. She, for once, actually admitted that Warner maybe wasn't such an evil person, and developed in the way that, not only did she want to fully kick-butt, but she wanted to peel back Warner's layers. Castle and Adam, however, were predictable. Castle felt like Anderson 2.0 and Adam was like Peeta from The Hunger Games all over again. (Did I mention I'm Team Gale?) I'm sick of Peeta. Warner, though, was so perfect. His character was literally amazing.
I loved how, near the end, he didn't let her push him around as far as his emotions go. He told her that he wouldn't be her toy and I yelled in happiness- ish. I was upset that he was upset, though. But then, something spoilerific happened, and their love was renewed.
ADAM WASN'T THERE. TAKE THAT, PEETA. NICE GUYS DON'T ALWAYS WIN, HUH?
I apologize for being so dreadfully unprofessional, but I must confess that my mind is literally identical to a plate of scrambled eggs right now after 450 pages of Warner.
Juliette did annoy me once, though. There was a certain moment (cough cough Chapter 62) which Juliette did something utterly dumb that made me slam the book into my forehead. And yes, it insinuated the Warner-emotions-sassy kid side that was portrayed above.
All in all, THIS BOOK. (Sorry. I had to get that out there.) I doubt that everyone else liked it as much and now they're thinking what a weirdo. She likes Warner way too much. I doubt I'll be sleeping tonight.
Rating: 50 million stars
Read this book! (Read Shatter Me first though.)

Over and out,
Nerdalicious

No comments:

Post a Comment