Monday, December 23, 2013

Book Review: Champion by Marie Lu

14290364He is a Legend.
She is a Prodigy.
Who will be Champion?  
 
June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps Elect while Day has been assigned a high level military position. But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them once again. Just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything he has. With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.


*WARNING: MINOR SPOILERS*

"Marie Lu's bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion." This sentence is one the back of every final YA book out there, but I rarely ever agree with them. This time, though, I couldn't agree more. Marie Lu is a phenomenal writer. One of my biggest (and probably most pathetic) life achievements is that I have the entire trilogy in hardback and signed *cue choir singing Hallelujah music*. I can't get enough of her writing style.

There are books that make you want to fall into a fit of depression and there are books that make you want to jump and shout, letting the whole world know to read this page-turner. Champion is both. Normally, I look at reviews for books and see if the ending is sad or happy, but I've found that never once looking ahead but reading it like you're standing outside of a bookstore at midnight of the release, reading, is a much, much more satisfying way to conclude a series. This way, I formed my own opinions and appreciated the full impact of her work.

Before Champion, I thought Day was just . . . okay. I loved Metias and June, though, before you go crazy on me. However, I came into Champion with a negative attitude about Day, but I left tearing up and shaking over the ending. Marie Lu did this book the justice it needed, with the ending that was satisfying, an ending that I could handle.

The characters evolved so well. I used to really dislike Tess in the earlier books, but now I love her! The author made me hate the characters that were supposed to be hated (Jameson- ugh), sympathize (Thomas, anyone?), and learn to love characters like Tess. I know that, especially in Prodigy, not so sure now, that many people really didn't like Anden. I personally always really him, and I think that he and June have a very strong friendship. I hope that he finds happiness with someone out there. I also loved how the author didn't just give us every answer to every problem. She left some things open-ended so that we as readers have the freedom to figure them out.

I just love this war-ridden world she's created. It's so believable and realistic. June surprised me with her character around every turn and every corner. I feel like I have more to say about this book, but my thoughts are pretty scrambled right now. All I can process is: gooooood booooook. But seriously, I cannot wait to read what Marie Lu has next for us.

Over and out,
Nerdalicious

No comments:

Post a Comment