Thursday, April 25, 2013

Book Review: The Elite by Kiera Cass

*plays inspiring movie intro song in the background* Welcome, welcome, citizens of Illea! I'm Gavril (or maybe not), your fabulous host for the night! Today I will be reviewing The Elite by Kiera Cass, the sequel to The Selection. Below is the summary, if you haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


There were so many emotions packed into this book, I can't even comprehend them myself. It was like waiting and waiting for your favorite person on a reality television show to get kicked off. Anxiously, heart-pounding waiting. And, then, BAM. Emotions and experiences I never guessed would've occurred happened.

I wanted to slam this book into my head, run a mile, or start dancing like a three-year-old in my room to YMCA. Of course the M would stand for Maxon. See where I'm going with this? No? Okay. But seriously, there should be some sort of illness for burst of ultra-energy like this. Maybe a straitjacket or two so I don't go out and just . . . I don't know. (My mind is set on Maxon Mode, something that makes me think: What would Maxon do? And currently, I don't think Maxon would ever fangirl so hard. That's a profession in itself.)

I think I should start by saying that Kiera Cass seriously needs to rethink her priorities if she's thinking that America will end up with Aspen. No. I will find her if that happens. This will not end well, kids.

I think I need a t-shirt to express my undying love for Prince Maxon Schreave. Seriously. It could be like a new trend or something.

In The Selection, everyone was sweet and kind and rooting for each other. It was like tossing the basic recipe for a shockingly good storyline. My orignial thought was: Princes? Kings? Count me out. But, after reading it, I was dying for a sequel. If you have read it, then get prepared. It is as if Cass simply took the knob on the intensity and racked it up thirty notches.

Okay, so the first part of the book. Kinda sweet, kinda boring (honestly, what I needed). Cass spoon fed me Maxon in the beginning, if that makes any lick of sense. Then, America decided that she was going to be all wishy-washy and be like 'Oh, I'm not good enough.' and 'Oh, I could never be a princess.' Yes you can, girl! It's not the act of thinking- it's the act of doing. To put on the crown requires nothing more than the simple act of putting it on. But I love America to bits.

What I love most about America is how fiesty but kind she is. She really makes me want to root for the underdog. She's a heroin that I want to root for, you know? I can't say that I've experienced this in a while, this feeling of wanting a character to have something they deserve.

But, however, her own suspicions wreaked havoc, and almost costed her relationship with Maxon. Many, many times. The rest of the book left me dying and decaying and screaming. I had and still do have an insatiable hunger throughout reading The Elite.

Onward into the good night, everyone! Now I will talk about my relationship with Maxon. I love him in this book in several notable scenes, but others, he made me want to literally hate him and then, I don't know, kiss him. Towards the end, Maxon reveals a secret to America that literally made me want to reach out and hug this fictional character. I won't say anything, but it worked so perfectly with his character and I can't wait to see where Cass takes his character's journey.

Aspen was annoying. The end.

As was Celeste. I wanted to punch her. Over and over again.

In case you haven't heard, Maxon's father, King Clarkson, is going to be portrayed on the CW television show by Anthony Head, the same man who played King Uther, Arthur's father in one of my favorites, the BBC show Merlin. I am so excited to see him play the king as I think he knows exactly how to pinpoint a headstrong king whose personal morals are quite conflicting.

All in all, this book left me breathless and in a fragile state in which my emotions are involved. Cass is such a captivating writer; I cannot wait until the third book next spring. A whole year. Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars. Amazing!

Over and out,
Nerdalicious


No comments:

Post a Comment