Thursday, April 25, 2013

Book Review: Through The Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

Subordinate Clauses. Awkward storms. Pointless Scenes. Unnecessarily long v-necks (or "ripped shirts" as it is made out to be).

Those are just some of the basics of what happened during my trek with this book. Don't get me wrong- it wasn't exactly bad. It's just that I simply felt like more than a few things could have been improved transitioning from Under The Never Sky to its sequel, Through The Ever Night. For at least two hundred pages, I kept waiting and waiting for a big moment to happen, until, finally, in the last portion of the book, it finally did.

I feel like, even though the body of the book was spent on subtle character development, more so for Perry than Aria in my opinion, most of those scenes were slow and just . . . eh. My harsh bias might be based on the fact that I'm swimming in YA dystopia right now, but I can't help it.

However, Rossi does have a nice writing style that flows together easily. For me, I spent most of the book only lingering briefly on the dialogue and vastly skimming the lengthy descriptions. I feel like, for that reason, I'm conflicted about reading it again because I don't want to endure the entire wrongness of it again. 'So wrong but so right' is my only trivial dilemma.

It wasn't bad by any extent- all of my friends who read it have thoroughly enjoyed it. Once again, I'm just the odd duck out of this algebraic equation. If you check on Goodreads, practically every single review clocks in at around 4 or 5 stars with stellar reviews. Not that I'm differentiating from the pack, however. I do think that this book was much more solid and compelling than the first, surprisingly.

I have to admit, that cover just isn't working for me. It has some sort of awkward-trying too hard- steamy romance thing going on, which personally makes me uncomfortable. That v-neck? Bro, get a new shirt. Let's get real, it's not working. Maybe a haircut. And a bath. And a new face.

I have to admit, I love Rossi for adding in the touch of Phantom of the Opera. That fit in so well with Aria's character, and I smiled so wide when I spotted the multiple references.

All in all, not a bad sequel. If you're skeptical after that first one, don't be afraid to pick it up. Like the rest of the population, I'm sure you'll like it. I definitely recommend checking this sequel out.

4.75 out of 5 star rating.

Over and out,
Nerdalicious

No comments:

Post a Comment