Saturday, May 18, 2013

Book Review: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

So, for all of you people who love just fantasy and science fiction books and won't even go near a contemporary book, I'm going to stop you right there. Go read Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. Now.


Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.
As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?




This book has the most simplistic but intriguing plot for a contemporary. As you may have figured out, I tend to only read fantasy and science fiction YA. Yup, take note, I just read a non-fantasy/science fiction book. And I liked it.
Now you may be skeptical because of that title. Listen, judgmental peasant (only teasing, before I seriously offend someone) it's set in Paris. There's a girl. There's a boy. Now do you understand the reference to France and kissing? It's not some sappy, unrealistic romance. It was interesting and nice.
The setting for this plot is so detailed and accurate and rich. It makes me want to eat a cake with Paris written on it. (Because, let's get real, the closest I'm going to get to Paris is a tiny figurine on a macaroon or something.)
This girl had a lot of first world problems. But who else has first world problems? Not me. Not me one bit. But then, Anna would (thankfully) realize that oh maybe her problems weren't so bad! But then they'd be ruined again. It was like HJigh School Musical in France. (Ok, maybe not.)
Crazy stuff.
I have to say that, however though I loved Anna and Etienne's relationship (it was very thought-out and realistic) I hated his last name. Of all names to choose. St. Clair? Really? No. Noooooo. NO. Um, anyway . . .
But somehow, morphed together, was a really good book that I thoroughly enjoyed. (I may or may not have read it in less than half of a day.) I definitely recommend you read it if you are looking for a light read that is still hooking and interesting.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Over and out,
Nerdalicious

No comments:

Post a Comment