Saturday, May 11, 2013

Book Review: Oblivion by Anthony Horowitz

After dutifully waiting for five years for this book, it has come. It is the fifth and final book in the Gatekeepers series.


Matt. Pedro. Scott. Jamie. Scar. Five Gatekeepers have finally found one another. And only the five of them can fight the evil force that is on the rise, threatening the destruction of the world.
In the penultimate volume of The Gatekeepers series, a massive storm arose that signalled the beginning of the end. Now the five Gatekeepers must battle the evil power the storm has unleashed - and strive to stop the world from ending.





This book was simply a whirlwind of events and action. Considering that it flipped between all five Gatekeepers point of views, unlike in the other four books, it really kept the action rolling and open.
I really enjoyed this book, as I know that Horowitz is a deserving acclaimed author. Normally, after taking over five years to finish a series, I would have given up on it, but not with this. Besides the Goliath size, this book was a fantastic conclusion to the Gatekeepers series. (I am curious, though, to see how many words this book is.)
Each character was strong and resilient in their own way, but I have to say that my favorite character was Matt (and not for the distinct Meerkat allusion). He was very withstanding throughout the entire novel. I really liked how much of a leader he was to the other kids. 
But I also liked how some of the Gatekeepers weren't just an image of mental perfection. One character in particular (who I won't mention for the sake of spoilers) wavered more than quite a bit, which kept his story interesting.
One other thing that I enjoyed was how the POV's weren't just from the Gatekeepers perspective. They were also from Holly, for example. She was a new character to this book who really captured a side to the story were you could see someone who was experiencing this pandemonium that wasn't strong and resilient like Matt. You got to see the perspective of someone who wasn't a superhero like the rest. They were as confused as the reader.
I also liked how there was little to no romance. It was a nice break from YA books riddled with Edwards and the like.
All in all, I really thought that this was a really great conclusion to the series even though I was very skeptical about reading it (5 years is enough of a reason) but it was worth it. I highly enjoyed this series as a whole. If you haven't, you should definitely pick up a copy of Raven's Gate, which is the first in this five-part series.
Over and out,
Nerdalicious

No comments:

Post a Comment