Thursday, May 2, 2013

Book Review: Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza

Where to begin, where to begin? *takes wizard staff and sits down on a tree stump* Today I will be reviewing Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza.


Mila was living with her mother in a small Minnesota town when she discovered she was also living a lie.
She was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was never supposed to remember the past—that she was built in a computer science lab and programmed to do things real people would never do.
Now she has no choice but to run—from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much, and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology.
Evading her enemies won't help Mila escape the cruel reality of what she is and cope with everything she has had to leave behind. However, what she's becoming is beyond anyone's imagination, including her own, and that just might save her life.

First, let's take a look at that cover. I'm pretty sure we can all agree on the fact that that cover is great. It has a really unique look to it that no other cover can claim to. The cover easily lends itself to being symbolic of how Mila, the heroin, is losing her humanity.

I really felt like Mila's personality and character was a separate entity from the plot, if that makes sense. I felt like she'd have her thoughts and whatnot, and then, a new character with the same name would come out when the action picked up. Some side characters I really enjoyed, but for Mila, I just couldn't make up my mind. She seemed very typical-teenager and bland. However, certain points in the plot were very nice and made up for my lack of connectivity with Mila.

I hated her romance with the boy, Hunter, though. I couldn't get into his character, whether it be for the reason that he was immediately developing feelings for her, and then we didn't see him again for 400 pages. Literally. No need to worry, though, folks, because Driza constantly reminded the reader of him.

I really liked the villains in this story. They were great. The antagonistic group was like a breath of fresh air after being cooped up in a cage of . . . awkward.

Switching back to the bad, her 'friend' Kaylee, who we also saw for even less than Hunter, was literally such an annoying character. She made me lose mostly all of my faith in humanity. Literally, she was whiny and obnoxious, everything bad wrapped up in a teenager. I have no idea why Mila would even consider being acquainted with her, considering how opposite their personalities came off as.

All in all, I may rant about this story's problems, but I feel like the good portions could outweigh the bad. If you haven't had a chance to read this, I recommend getting it from your local library or buying it. Even if you buy it and don't like it, I feel like that cover will make a nice addition to any YA bookshelf.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Over and out,
Nerdalicious

No comments:

Post a Comment