Saturday, May 4, 2013

Book Review: Taken by Erin Bowman

May the fourth be with you, everyone! In celebration, today I will be reviewing the new YA dystopia Taken by Erin Bowman.

There are no men in Claysoot. There are boys—but every one of them vanishes at midnight on his eighteenth birthday. The ground shakes, the wind howls, a blinding light descends…and he’s gone.

They call it the Heist.

Gray Weathersby’s eighteenth birthday is mere months away, and he’s prepared to meet his fate–until he finds a strange note from his mother and starts to question everything he’s been raised to accept: the Council leaders and their obvious secrets. The Heist itself. And what lies beyond the Wall that surrounds Claysoot–a structure that no one can cross and survive.

Climbing the Wall is suicide, but what comes after the Heist could be worse. Should he sit back and wait to be taken–or risk everything on the hope of the other side?



This cover. Holy poop. It's so beautiful and unique and lovely and colorful and ugh. I love it. I can't exactly describe my emotions pertaining this cover, mainly considering how scatter-brained I am after just reading this.

Ok, now back to the actual review of this book. Let's kick off this shindig with a little romance, shall we? I have to say, I actually really liked the romance in this book. Not only is it unique as it has a love triangle with two girls and one boy, but it also was interesting for him.

I really liked how Gray wasn't thinking of his original love interest all the time, unlike some books. When she wasn't present, she wasn't present. Not that I'm saying that the characters should just forget about the others, but still. It was nice to only be reminded that she wasn't dead every fifty pages or so.

However, when it came to Gray's relationship with Emma, I didn't like how he "loved" her so quickly. Is it just me or is anyone else sensing Romeo and Juliet here? I can understand how that would make sense, considering how primitive and loveless his lifestyle had been before her. All his life, he lived in a community were marriage wasn't even an idea, and finally, he's discovering a love of his own.

I really enjoyed the world that Bowman has created. It is unique and compelling, something that I highly enjoy in a book. Normally, the world outside of the protagonist's original life is worse and threatening, however, Taken was different. The world outside wasn't just one-dimensional and flat. It was sparkling and fresh.

I didn't like how Gray just completely forgot about Claysoot and their lives. Gray ran around for 350 pages, world outside dominant- hometown subsided. I mean, it's not like your own mother is still inside of Claysoot, oblivious to everything, Gray. Not a bit. I really hope that this is a setup for a sequel, though. Otherwise, I will be quite angry at Bowman for forgetting that monumental plot hole.

One of the nice things was that you'd know that something was bound to happen, but I had no suspects of what was to come. Whenever a plan or a plot detail was revealed, I had no idea that that was coming.

All in all, I was quite satisfied with this read. I think it's a great read for anyone seeking something fresh and interesting.

Rating: 4.75 out of 5 stars

You'll like this if you like: The Maze Runner, Divergent

Over and out,
Nerdalicious

No comments:

Post a Comment