Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Book Review: The Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Have you ever had a day where you know what you did (ex: went to school) but had no idea what happened throughout the day? I had one of those with this book. Tough times.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.
In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.
And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.
When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Firstly (is that a word?), I would like to say that this was a really great book. The writing style and setting were superb. However, with the use of names like Skjhdfjakds and, my favorite, Iudfiudsfc, it was really quite difficult for me to know what was going on. 
The book takes place in Prague, so that explains the weird names. Even though I only know about 1/2 of the actual plot, I can tell it was a good book. Twists and turns were placed accordingly; the ending had a nice cliffhanger, for those of you who like that sort of thing. 
I was really confused, if you haven't picked up on that. I have no idea why I was so confused, but I'm not going to lie and tell you I wasn't. This was clearly a good book, but really, if you aren't looking for a nice read, don't pick this up.
Over and out,
Nerdalicious

No comments:

Post a Comment