Sunday, July 28, 2013

Book Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

This book took me a long time to read. Originally, I had gotten it from the library, but as it happens, I had to turn it back in before I could read it. It took me buying a nice copy from Half-Price books and it sitting on my shelf for a few weeks before I read it, and let me just say, this is definitely the book to read if you are suffering from any sort of book hangover.

When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government "rehabilitation camp." She might have survived the mysterious disease that's killed most of America's children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.
Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.
When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she's on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her-East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can't risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.
Let's start at the beginning, shall we? I thought (for the first about 100 pages) that this book was really slow. It wasn't that the scenes were action-packed and quick, it was more that I didn't feel anything for the characters. I did think that her mind-erasing skills were the bomb though. I could easily picture being so scared if that had happened to me. 
The symbol for the odd children, the Psi (the symbol on the cover), I found to be really cool. I liked how the children really took it back for their own use.
I loved the color-categorization thing they had going on. This particular aspect actually took me awhile to figure out, but once I did, I really liked it. Instead of having scientific names, they used colors for each power. Now, Ruby is an Orange, which is sort of a mind-based power. She can erase memories, plant ideas, and the like. She pretends to be a Green (something to do with photographic memory, I believe) so that she won't be killed (the Oranges are, obviously, viewed as dangerous by the government.
Once I clicked with Ruby, I really liked her as a narrator. I loved the scene were she and Zu were in Walmart, walking around and taking clothes and whatnot, because, let's face it: we all want to run around Walmart doing whatever we want. I liked how accepting Zu was of Ruby into their group.
Let's move on to the annoying characters. Annoying character #1: LIAM. I was all right with him as a character until he became the love interest (not much of a spoiler, trust me). It just makes me so sad to think that I already know that she's going to end up with Liam and ugh. JUST GO AWAY. Literally, I've read so many characters that are just like him. I'm seriously contemplating contacting Alexandra Bracken through her Tumblr and demand that they not end up together.
Chubs was just kind of there for me. I did like how he hated Ruby though, for a good hunk of the book. I was like, "YES! YES. YOU GO GIRL!"
Character that I love but everyone else hates and he's going to be just like every other could-be character out there: Clancy. This book went like way, way up when he showed up. I hate how he literally has no chance with her because, "Oh! She has LIAM LIAM LIAM. Congratulations to the happy couple." So frustrating.
(IT WAS A WARNER-JULIETTE-ADAM relationship ALL OVER AGAIN. Kill me. Why do I always get the unwanted guy on the love triangle?)
That ending had me close to laughing but the sad part is is that Ruby will spend the next to books pining over the boy she can't have. Never heard that one before.
It's not that I didn't like Liam as a character, I just didn't like him. Simple.
I'm sorry that this became a rant about Liam, but it was needed. Clancy could have so much character development and potential (but that would just be a crazy thought, wouldn't it? Let's not push those boundaries, kids.) 
The ending, I thought, was quite good, but I was so mad about the Clancy sitch that I just couldn't even. 
Rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars (CLANCY!)
Over and out,
Nerdalicious

No comments:

Post a Comment