Monday, July 15, 2013

Book Review: The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

I love this book. I must've read it about a million times. And, do you know what's weird about that? It's a contemporary. No dragons, no sorcery. But somehow, Eulberg never fails to catch me off guard and love a story. If I had the power to make a movie, this would definitely be high on the list, simply because of what a strong heroine it has, along with the fun and dynamic plot.




Love is all you need... or is it? Penny's about to find out in this wonderful debut.
Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It's a personal choice. . .and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born: The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways . . . which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like. . . .


Not only do I love the writing, but I love the message that this book sends. For me, it makes me feel independent and wanting to put myself first. I think that teen girls everywhere could relate to this and take something away from it.
Penny Lane's character development is another aspect that I love. In the beginning, she leans on her boyfriend Nate, who cheats on her. Because of this, she starts to hate boys and love and yada-yada. As the novel progresses, though, she begins to see that you can lose personal relationships that way and miss opportunities that she wouldn't have missed otherwise.
Her friends are also really funny and help Penny along her journey. Diane breaks away from her boyfriend and rekindles her friendship with Penny, which becomes as strong as ever. Tracy provides that little voice that's wondering how she got in this but is still willing to stick by Penny.
This is the perfect book for a rainy day, or anytime you've been wanting your hope in humanity to be restored, or even a light read. 
Rating: 6 out of 5 stars
Over and out,
Nerdalicious


No comments:

Post a Comment