Friday, July 5, 2013

Book Review: Rebel Heart by Moira Young

There is a price on Saba’s head. She brought down a ruthless tyrant and saved her kidnapped brother. But winning has come at a terrible cost. Saba is haunted by her past—and a new enemy is on the rise, an enemy who searches for her across the Dust Lands.
Saba needs Jack: his moonlit eyes, his reckless courage, his wild heart. But Jack has left. And her brother is haunted by ghosts of his own. Then news comes that tells her Jack can never be trusted again. Deceived and betrayed, haunted and hunted, Saba will need all of her warrior’s strength just to survive. For the enemy has cunning plans of his own…





This book is the sequel to Blood Red Road, a book which I do have a review on if you would wish to read it. I really enjoyed it, and let me tell you, this book did not let me down.
I had fears that this book would just be a tattered continuation of the first book, but it wasn't. I had fears that many of the characters would not grow and develop, but they did.
To start, remember Lugh? Yeah, that kid with the long hair who played the damsel in distress in the first book? Well, he's back and actually has scenes in this book. And he is possibly the most annoying character in this whole book. He grips and complains and tells Saba what to do, when I thought that Saba was doing just fine, thank you very much. He makes it out like Saba can't be someone other than the twin he once had while he can go and be a new person.
At first, I had some trouble remembering who the Tonton are (or who invented that killer name), the main antagonists for this book. 
I loved how this book seemed to have consequences. With many books, the characters get off the hook for doing the stupidest, most illogical things, but Moira Young makes sure that Karma goes full circle, Saba and Jack included. For the majority of the novel, Jack and Saba are not together, just as a forewarning  However, I do really like their romance as it seems real and potent. Their miscommunications often cause conflict in itself, for they cannot explain for their actions (and then Saba gets mad and violent and does things she probably regrets now). That wouldn't have happened if stupidity had been solved on both sides.
However, Saba almost shatters their whole relationship when DeMalo comes into the picture. I can't help but imagine him as like some creepy 40 year-old loser when really, I'm sure he's not but I can't help myself. I hate DeMalo just as much as I hate Lugh, which says something. He really throws a rift in this novel, especially toward the end.
All in all, I really enjoyed this book. It left me breathless and craving more.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Over and out,
Nerdalicious

No comments:

Post a Comment