Thursday, July 18, 2013

Book Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

If I could meet Michelle Hodkin, let's just say that I would have a few words to say to her...

Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.
She can’t.
She used to think her problems were all in her head.
They aren’t.
She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.






This book is a sequel, before I get started. I have a choppy review of the first book, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. It drove me crazy, and it's safe to say that this book didn't let up.

To start, let me just proclaim how much I like her brother, Daniel. He's so funny and almost like a relief for Mara and the reader.

The beginning of the book made me want to scream. It was like PLL all over again! I hated how no one believed her and I was just like "I BELIEVE YOU HOMEGIRL. DON'T LET THEM GET YOU DOWN." Thank goodness for Noah. Mara really got to experience what a relief having someone fully, totally trust you be like.

This book was painful in many regards. The way Michelle Hodkin wove her story was incredible- the way that the light, the dark, and the humor were all perfectly balanced.

Every author does this, but it gets me every time. Whenever a character is wrongfully judged and doesn't get the justice they deserve, it drives me crazy. The fact that her own mother didn't believe a word she said hurt like it was my own mother.

Mara is an unreliable narrator, a fact that heavily influences the plot. You don't know what you just saw was true or not, you don't know if it was all just lies concocted by her own subconscious.

The way that the powers of the kids is laced in is great. It doesn't feel like a superhero novel. It's more of a, "What are these? WHHHHHHAAAAAT?"

Dr. Kells, I was not suspecting. Now I hate her guts.

The ending is explosive, just to warn you. It's much, much worse than the first book's cliffhanger, which is just kind of a actual cliffhanger that sets up book 2. This book had the worst ending in the world- not in a bad way. More in a way that made me want to rip my heart out. Something happened that I refuse to believe. Something terrible. I think Hodkin is toying with us. I can hear her laughing at me right now, I swear.

You know those books were the reviews are just like, "So beautiful and haunting..." And they never are? This book actually was. It was beautiful. It was haunting. It was perfect.

Rating: Painfully amazing

Over and out,
Nerdalicious


No comments:

Post a Comment